Online Workshop Series 2023
Organisers: Hugues Abriel and Patricia Teixidor Monsell (University of Bern) in collaboration with Fabian Käser (KFPE)
This online workshop aims to bring together three leading Principal Investigators (PIs) in medical genomics from three different African countries to discuss aspects and opportunities for South-South collaborations in the field. The workshop will also explore the risks and potential benefits of collaborating with medical genetics labs in the European Union and Switzerland.
- To discuss the modern challenges and opportunities in medical genomics research in Africa
- To share experiences and best practices in medical genomics research among the PIs
- To explore new strategies and approaches to advancing medical genomics research through South-South collaborations in Africa
- To evaluate the risks and benefits of collaborations with medical genetics labs in the European Union and Switzerland
- To develop guidelines for ethical and equitable collaborations with EU and Swiss scientists.
The workshop will feature three young leading PIs in medical genomics from Africa:
The workshop will be held online and include presentations and panel discussions by the three PIs, followed by interactive sessions. Participants will have the opportunity to ask questions, share their experiences, and participate in group discussions. Prof. Aimé Lumaka (Kinshasa and Liège), our guest, will be introducing the topic of "Medical Genomics in Africa" during the workshop.
Participants are expected to gain a deeper understanding of the current challenges and opportunities in medical genomics research in Africa. They will also have the opportunity to share their experiences and learn best practices from leading PIs in the field. The workshop will create a network of medical genomics researchers in Africa for future collaboration and knowledge sharing. Finally, the workshop will develop guidelines for ethical and equitable partnerships with collaborators from Switzerland.