The Importance of Allyship and Empowerment in the Decolonization of Research Partnerships – A Workshop
Online Workshop Series 2023
Organiser: Danielle Isler (University of Bayreuth)
The saying 'Silence is Violence' has been around at least since the second Black Lives Matter wave in 2020. Inaction in the face of racism can be just as bad as effectively perpetrating racism. Failure to actions in certain situations are not as harmless as they seem. This is demonstrated, for example, by the fact that the Swiss Penal Code lists several crimes of omission. When people who identify as White remain inactive in the face of racism, it is often because they do not know how exactly to respond, in other words how to be allies. This workshop focuses on allyship an empowerment of BIPoC* in research partnerships. It begins with a theoretical section about the historicity of racism and follows with exercises on allyship and empowerment.
Please register for this workshop if you want to attend.
*BiPoC is an acronym that stands for Black, Indigenous, and People of Color. The term PoC includes all people who are not White and are affected by racism.
Online Workshop Series: Decolonizing Swiss Research Collaborations
- Reflective steps to unbundle decolonization - answering difficult questions
- Students in “the field”: Decolonizing applied research collaborations. Discussion of experiences and practices
- South-North and South-South Collaborations in Medical Genomics Research in Africa
- Our Common Challenge: Moving Beyond Inaction and Irrelevance
- Decolonising Language & Word Choice: The Case for Linguistic Equity
- Open Science as a Means to Decolonize Scientific Publishing and Foster Fairer Research Collaborations
- An interdisciplinary dialogue on ethical considerations and the role of HIC research partnerships in strengthening capacity and stimulating South-South research
- Decolonizing research – an invitation to learn and unlearn from different entry points
- Decolonizing research: from knowledge transfer to knowledge(s) in dialogue
- The Importance of Allyship and Empowerment in the Decolonization of Research Partnerships – A Workshop
- African-European School Dialogue
- Creating and evaluating equitable research partnerships: from inception to impact
- Decolonizing Graduate Careers